Re: getting file pointer from dentry/inode

On 5/4/06, UZAIR LAKHANI <uzairr_bs1b@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello All,

I want to find out how the file pointer from
inode/dentry can be get. For example we can get inode
pointer by using iget. In the struct file we can get
inode/dentry (filp->f_dentry->d_inode) but how can we
reversely get the struct file pointer from
dentry/inode etc.

You can try to get the filp from filp->f_dentry->d_inode using the
same way as list_entry macro in include/linux/list.h do and you have
to do that list_entry kind of stuff two times to get to the filp from
d_inode (as in one pass you can get f_dentry and then from f_dentry
you can get to filp). I hope it will help but can't say that its a
good way !

Secondly is this logically correct to get the file
pointer from inode/dentry etc.

I can't say doing this is logically correct or not, but I can say if
this really helps and you won't able to get the better way of
accessing filp then you can do so or other people might give you some
better idea but they probably need to know why and where you want to
do this :)

--
Fawad Lateef
-