readdir in client/server Environment

Hello All,

I want to find out the internal workings of the file
operations member readdir. Specially the arguments it
received. What is

the purpose of the file pointer, what is dirent (void
ptr) for. Do the void ptr i.e. dirent has something
when called. Do

the filldir function fills the dirent etc. I am asking
this because I am working in a client/server
environment. The client

will get the request for readdir but the actual
storage and directories are on server so what the
client will have to pass

to the server to have its request fulfilled.

On the other hand what will be the reply of the server
i.e. do the server have to pass this void ptr dirent
back to client

etc.

N.B.: I am using my own structures of inode, dentry
etc and these structures are common between client and
server.

Thanks,

Uzair Lakhani