Hacking linux-utils for swap label

Hello everyone,

It's my first time in hacking something so deep in linux, so please don't be too hard on me. It concerns the code packaged in "linux-utils", I hope I have found the correct mailing list.

Here is the problem :
I need a way in shell script to get back the device name from the label name, in order to restore (ie: format) it correctly in a recovery solution (mondorescue). For instance, a call to "e2label" do the job for the ext2/3 kind of partition. But for swap partition, there is _no_ way to get it back. The name didn't appear in /proc/swaps or /proc/partitions.

Here is my current hacking:
I have developped myself a small "addon" to swapon/swapoff program, named _swaplabel_, which display the list of device, uuid and name of all the partitions. It was really easy, this code is old but so damn cool !

Here is the question :
   1) Is this possible to enhance linux-utils in order to do the job ?
   2) What's the better way to correct this :
       2.1) a new program as my "swaplabel" ?
2.2) a new option to swapon ? (there is already a "-l" in it, but it does not display the label)
       2.3) a patch to the "-l" option ?
       2.4) a patch to add a colum "label" in /proc/partitions ?
       2.5) an other way I didn't think of ?

thanks for your help,
kind regards,

--