Re: Communicating FileSystem Structures b/w Two Machines

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 11:11:46PM -0700, UZAIR LAKHANI wrote:
> I am in the process of making a filesystem in a
> client/server environment where there is a single
> server having a storage attached and 2 to 3 clients
> accessing that storage through a communication
> mechanism. The client and server are using a
> buffer(unsigned char array) to communicate.
>
> In order for client and server to communicate, they
> have to exchange different structures like
> super-block, inode, dentry, vfsmount etc.

Why on earth do you think that?  Certainly you have to communicate
file data and metadata, but why on earth would you ship dentries from
one machine to another?  This will never work.

You should probably look at how other network filesystems are designed,
starting with NFS: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1094.html

What are your research goals for this new filesystem?  Why will it be
any better than OCFS2, NFS (v2 or v4), SMBFS/CIFS, NCPFS, Coda or AFS?
Why don't you start by taking one of these filesystems and modify or
extend it to suit your needs rather than starting from scratch?
-