Re: Overhead of Using a Stackable File System(Wrapfs)

--- Avishay Traeger <atraeger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 23:48 -0700, UZAIR LAKHANI
> wrote:
> > Thanks for replying but consider this scenario.
> >
> > What Wrapfs code do is this
> >
> > user_request ---> vfs_request ---> wrapfs_request
> --->
> > actual_fs_request ---> storage
> >
> > Now consider this scenario in a network
> environment
> >
> > (client machine)
> > user_request ---> vfs_request ---> wrapfs_request
> --->
> >
> > Network ---> (server machine)actual_fs_request
> --->
> > storage
> >
> > The network here gets client requests and send
> them to
> > server and vice versa.
>
> The main benefit of stackable file systems is that
> you do not need to
> duplicate the functionality found in lower-level
> file systems.  In your
> scenario, you do not use the lower-level file system
> at all, so you will
> need to implement all the functionality of a
> lower-level file system,
> plus deal with all the stackable file system code
> (which you will use
> but won't need).  Using wrapfs in this case will
> give you no benefit,
> and will just make your life more difficult, and
> your code slower and
> more difficult to read.  I recommend you just start
> from scratch.

Thanks again for replying. I am getting your point
that we don't have any lower filesystem on the client
side but can we not assume that we have a lower file
sytem on client side but that actually resides across
the network on server side. All then we have to do is
to pass the requsts for the lower file system on
client side to the lower file system on server side
using some communication mechanism.

Waiting for comments.

Thanks,
Uzair