Re: Debian #1066832: [fsverity-utils] hard Build-Depends on unportable package pandoc

Dixi quod…

>Please split the package so that the part that requires pandoc is
>done in an arch:all build. Normally, pandoc is needed only for
>documentation, which is often easy enough to split off in a -doc
>binary package, which can then move to B-D-Indep and be built on
>amd64 or whatever hosts.

Looking at this in some detail, this is *only* ONE manual page.
Splitting into a separate package for one file will not go over
well with ftpmaster.

Dear upstream, please consider keeping the manpage in something
else, like mdoc. I would be willing to convert the manpage to
semantic, readable mdoc for you, even.

(fsverity-utils is a Build-Depends of rpm, some subpackages of
which are necessary to build other software even in Debian.)

If upstream is not willing, we could:

• do this as local patch (effort updating it every time)

• hack a script that converts man/fsverity.1.md to mdoc;
  this doesn’t need to be a full converter, it needs to
  just be good enough to convert this one page (effort
  one-time, but probably not much if at all when updating)

• as package maintainer, run the pandoc conversion script
  and put the result into debian/fsverity.1 and install
  from there and stop B-D’ing on pandoc (needs some, but
  not much, manual effort on each update, and the package
  maintainer to have a clean sid system on which to do that)

• install a dummy manpage (that maybe summarises the options
  and points the reader to
  https://manpages.debian.org/unstable/fsverity/fsverity.1.en.html
  for the full page) on architectures without pandoc (needs
  a bit of initial hacking, and to keep a whitelist of arches
  with pandoc up-to-date)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
21:12⎜<Vutral> sogar bei opensolaris haben die von der community so
ziemlich jeden mist eingebaut │ man sollte unices nich so machen das

[Index of Archives]     [linux Cryptography]     [Asterisk App Development]     [PJ SIP]     [Gnu Gatekeeper]     [IETF Sipping]     [Info Cyrus]     [ALSA User]     [Fedora Linux Users]     [Linux SCTP]     [DCCP]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Yosemite Campsites]     [ISDN Cause Codes]