Re: fscrypt and FIPS

Hi folks,

HKDF is widely used in various HSM so this is necessarily compliant
with FIPS 140-3 or 140-2. I have in mind Thales Luna HSM. I am curious
why this statement was made on your side.

Thanks Jeff.

Thibaud

Le mer. 10 févr. 2021, à 14 h 30, Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> On Wed, 2021-02-10 at 09:49 -0800, Eric Biggers wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 08:14:08AM -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > > Hi Eric,
> > >
> > > I'm still working on the ceph+fscrypt patches (it's been slow going, but
> > > I am making progress). Eventually RH would like to ship this as a
> > > feature, but there is one potential snag that  -- a lot of our customers
> > > need their boxes to be FIPS-enabled [1].
> > >
> > > Most of the algorithms and implementations that fscrypt use are OK, but
> > > HKDF is not approved outside of TLS 1.3. The quote from our lab folks
> > > is:
> > >
> > > "HKDF is not approved as a general-purpose KDF, but only for SP800-56C
> > > rev2 compliant use. That means that HKDF is only to be used to derive a
> > > key from a ECDH/DH or RSA-wrapped shared secret. This includes TLS 1.3."
> > >
> > > Would you be amenable to allowing the KDF to be pluggable in some
> > > fashion, like the filename and content encryption algorithms are? It
> > > would be nice if we didn't have to disable this feature on FIPS-enabled
> > > boxes.
> > >
> > > [1]: https://www.nist.gov/itl/fips-general-information
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > --
> > > Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > Can you elaborate on why you think that HKDF isn't FIPS approved?  It's been
> > recommended by NIST 800-56C since 2011, and almost any cryptographic application
> > developed within the last 10 years is likely to be using HKDF, if it needs a
> > non-passphrase based KDF.
> >
> > In fact one of the reasons for switching from the weird AES-ECB-based KDF used
> > in v1 encryption policies to HKDF-SHA512 is that HKDF is much more standard.
> >
> > Are you sure you're looking at the latest version of FIPS?
> >
> > And if HKDF isn't approved, what *is* approved, exactly?
> >
> > As far as supporting a new KDF if it were necessary, one of the reserved fields
> > in fscrypt_add_key_arg, fscrypt_policy_v2, fscrypt_context_v2, and
> > fscrypt_provisioning_key_payload could be used to specify the KDF.  This would
> > the first time someone has done so, so there would also be work required to add
> > a '--kdf' parameter to the userspace tools, and make the kernel keep track of
> > the keys for each KDF version separately.  Plus maybe some other things too.
> >
> > I did figure that a new KDF might have to be supported eventually, but not to
> > replace the HKDF construction (which is provably secure), but rather if someone
> > wants to use something other than SHA-512 (which isn't provably secure).  I'm
> > not too enthusiastic about adding another KDF that uses the same underlying hash
> > function, as there would be no technical reason for this.
> >
> > Note that the fscrypt userspace tool (https://github.com/google/fscrypt) also
> > uses HKDF for a key derivation step in userspace, separately from the kernel.
> > I suppose you'd want to change that too?
> >

> Bah, I meant to cc Simo on this since he's the one who brought it up. I
> know just enough to be dangerous.

> [...]

Thibaud ECAROT

[Index of Archives]     [linux Cryptography]     [Asterisk App Development]     [PJ SIP]     [Gnu Gatekeeper]     [IETF Sipping]     [Info Cyrus]     [ALSA User]     [Fedora Linux Users]     [Linux SCTP]     [DCCP]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Yosemite Campsites]     [ISDN Cause Codes]