Re: max fsverity descriptor size?

+linux-fscrypt

On Wed, Dec 02, 2020 at 09:01:52AM -0500, Chris Mason wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I’m working on fsverity support in btrfs and wanted to check on the max size
> of the descriptor.  I can go up to any size, just wanted to make sure I had
> things correct in the disk format.
>
> -chris

The implementations of fs-verity in ext4 and f2fs store the built-in signature
(if there is one) appended to the 'struct fsverity_descriptor', and limit the
total size of those two things combined to 16384 bytes.  See
FS_VERITY_MAX_DESCRIPTOR_SIZE in fs/verity/fsverity_private.h.

Note that there's nothing special about this particular number; it's just an
implementation limit to prevent userspace doing weird things with megabytes
"signatures".

If btrfs will be storing built-in signatures in the same way, it probably should
use the same limit.  Preferably it would be done in a way such that it's
possible to increase the limit later if it's ever needed.

- Eric

[Index of Archives]     [linux Cryptography]     [Asterisk App Development]     [PJ SIP]     [Gnu Gatekeeper]     [IETF Sipping]     [Info Cyrus]     [ALSA User]     [Fedora Linux Users]     [Linux SCTP]     [DCCP]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Yosemite Campsites]     [ISDN Cause Codes]