Re: IMA metadata format to support fs-verity

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 10:13:43AM -0700, Chuck Lever wrote:
> Hi Eric-
>
> I'm trying to construct a viable IMA metadata format (ie, what
> goes into security.ima) to support Merkle trees.
>
> Rather than storing an entire Merkle tree per file, Mimi would
> like to have a metadata format that can store the root hash of
> a Merkle tree. Instead of reading the whole tree, an NFS client
> (for example) would generate the parts of the file's fs-verity
> Merkle tree on-demand. The tree itself would not be exposed or
> transported by the NFS protocol.

This won't work because you'd need to reconstruct the whole Merkle tree when
reading the first byte from the file.  Check the fs-verity FAQ
(https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/filesystems/fsverity.html#faq) where I
explained this in more detail (fourth question).

> Following up with the recent thread on linux-integrity, starting
> here:
>
>   https://lore.kernel.org/linux-integrity/1597079586.3966.34.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/t/#u
>
> I think the following will be needed.
>
> 1. The parameters for (re)constructing the Merkle tree:
> - The name of the digest algorithm
> - The unit size represented by each leaf in the tree
> - The depth of the finished tree
> - The size of the file
> - Perhaps a salt value
> - Perhaps the file's mtime at the time the hash was computed
> - The root hash

Well, the xattr would need to contain the same information as
struct fsverity_enable_arg, the argument to FS_IOC_ENABLE_VERITY.

> 2. A fingerprint of the signer:
> - The name of the digest algorithm
> - The digest of the signer's certificate
>
> 3. The signature
> - The name of the signature algorithm
> - The signature, computed over 1.

I thought there was a desire to just use the existing "integrity.ima"
signature format.

> Does this seem right to you?
>
> There has been some controversy about whether to allow the
> metadata to be unsigned. It can't ever be unsigned for NFS files,
> but some feel that on a physically secure local-only set up,
> signatures could be unnecessary overhead. I'm not convinced, and
> believe the metadata should always be signed: that's the only
> way to guarantee end-to-end integrity, which includes protection
> of the content's provenance, no matter how it is stored.

Are you looking for integrity-only protection (protection against accidental
modification), or also for authenticity protection (protection against
malicicous modifications)?  For authenticity, you have to verify the file's hash
against something you trust.  A signature is the usual way to do that.

- Eric

[Index of Archives]     [linux Cryptography]     [Asterisk App Development]     [PJ SIP]     [Gnu Gatekeeper]     [IETF Sipping]     [Info Cyrus]     [ALSA User]     [Fedora Linux Users]     [Linux SCTP]     [DCCP]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Yosemite Campsites]     [ISDN Cause Codes]