Re: Why does keyctl_invalidate() only require Search permission?

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 05:16:57PM -0800, Eric Biggers wrote:
> Hi David (or anyone else experienced with Linux keyrings),
>
> I was surprised to discover that the keyctl_invalidate() operation, as added by
> commit fd75815f727f1 ("KEYS: Add invalidation support") only requires Search
> permission.
>
> AFAICS, this means that any process which has permission to find a key in
> searches can also "invalidate" it, which deletes it from all keyrings
> system-wide.  This cannot even be forbidden by SELinux, which likewise is only
> asked for "Search" permission on the key.
>
> This is very problematic on systems that want to have a privileged process like
> 'init' set up a keyring, then give less privileged processes read-only access.
>
> What is the motivation behind only requiring Search permission, and how should
> this be fixed?  Perhaps "invalidation" should require write access to all the
> keyrings the key is in, since it's similar to unlinking it from all of them?  Or
> am I missing something about why it was designed the way it is?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric

David, do you have any comments on this?  This seems to be a pretty serious flaw
because it makes it impossible to give processes read-only access to keys.

What would you say about solving this by making keyctl_invalidate() require both
Setattr and Search permission?

- Eric