Re: [bug-report] task info hung problem in fb_deferred_io_work()

On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 09:39:09 +0200,
Harshit Mogalapalli wrote:

> Hi Takashi,
>
> On 19/04/24 12:14, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Apr 2024 21:29:57 +0200,
> > Helge Deller wrote:

> >> Harshit reported the hung tasks with kernel v5.15-stable, and can even reproduce
> >> that issue with kernel v6.9-rc4 although it has all of your patches from
> >> that referenced mail thread applied.
> >> So, what does your statement that "it was already known that it causes problems" exactly mean?
> >> Can it be fixed? Is someone looking into fixing it?
> >
> > My original fix was intentionally with cancel_delayed_work_sync()
> > because flush_delayed_work() didn't work.  We knew that it'd miss some
> > last-minute queued change, but it's better than crash, so it was
> > applied in that way.
> >

> Thanks for sharing these details.
>
> > Then later on, the commit 33cd6ea9c067 changed cancel_*() to
> > flush_delayed_work() blindly, and the known problem resurfaced again.
> >

> I have reverted that commit, but still could see some other task hung
> message as shared here on other reply:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/all/d2485cb9-277d-4b8e-9794-02f1efababc9@xxxxxxxxxx/

Yes, then it could be a different cause, I suppose.
The crash with flush_delayed_work() was a real crash, no hanging task,
IIRC.

Can you reproduce the issue with the latest Linus upstream, too?

thanks,

Takashi