Is fbdev deprecated?

Hi,

I've read several comments on this list that indicates that fbdev should be avoided for new drivers. I'm writing drivers for MIPI DBI type 1 compatible controllers with onchip RAM. This onchip memory is scanned out to the panel. So the driver just sync's the
framebuffer with the controller memory (partial updates also).
I rely on deferred io to do this. The ssd1307fb is a similar type of driver.

Is this still a use case for fbdev, or is DRM the only way now?

Here's a description of the driver stack: https://github.com/notro/fbdbi/wiki

Regards,
Noralf Trønnes