Re: [RFC] fbdev: allow multiple concurrent visible consoles

Hello Florian,

This patch allows having multiple visible consoles that receive
display updates. For example one can have running "top" to monitor
the system on fb0 and at the same time work on a shell on fb1.

I hate to report this, because I would really appreciate this feature, but your patch (applied against kernel 3.0) breaks my machine.

I have an x86-64 machine with a dual-GPU ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2 (which acts essentially as two discrete R700s) driven by the "radeon" KMS driver.

If I use the "fbcon=map:01" boot option to map the even-numbered VCs to the first GPU and the odd-numbered VCs to the second GPU, the kernel patched with your patch encounters some sort of soft-lockup when initializing the second GPU (i.e. creating the fb1) while booting. The is no panic or oops message and I can reset the machine by hitting ctrl+alt+del, but there is no further progress. I can provide further observations if you would like to.

Best regards

Martin Decky