Re: Force FB off

 Hi Jan,

You could boot with "vga=normal i915.modeset=0". This will provide you with a 25x80 console.
    You can also use vga=ext for an somethingx50 console.

Regards,
Rui

On 15-12-2010 13:39, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Tuesday 2010-12-14 21:18, Dave Airlie wrote:
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 3:41 AM, Jan Engelhardt<jengelh@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

booting with video=off nor video=i915:off has any effect on skipping
FB. What is the correct option to stop FB from taking over my boot
consoles?
For KMS its not fb taking over its the drm i915 driver, nomodeset will
stop it however X will no longer work since it relies on the kernel
driver.
That would make sense. Furthermore I discovered that video=vesafb:off
also has no effect, but here it is clear because the source code ignores
the return value of fb_get_options, and so ignores any off command.

The real strange thing is that video=offb:off on an Apple Xserve G5
PPC64, while probably skipping OFFB initialization, still ends up in a
640x480 mode with a 8x16 font instead of retaining the PROM
console/font.

Cumprimentos

*Rui Santos*

Email: rsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>