RE: Tentative agenda for Helsinki mini-summit

On Thu, 27 May 2010, Pawel Osciak wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> >
> >No idea whether this is a worthy and suitable topic for this meeting, but:
> >
> >V4L(2) video output vs. framebuffer.
> >
> >How about a v4l2-output - fbdev translation layer? You write a v4l2-output
> >driver and get a framebuffer device free of charge... TBH, I haven't given
> >this too much of a thought, but so far I don't see anything that would
> >make this impossible in principle. The video buffer management is quite
> >different between the two systems, but maybe we can teach video-output
> >drivers to work with just one buffer too? Anyway, feel free to tell me why
> >this is an absolutely impossible / impractical idea;)
>
> We also use v4l2-outputs for our display interfaces and for that we have
> v4l2-subdevices in a framebuffer driver. Although we have had no need for
> such a translation layer per se up to now, the idea seems interesting.

Interesting, but sorry, don't quite understand "we use v4l2-outputs" and
"in a framebuffer driver" - so, is it a framebuffer (/dev/fbX) or a v4l2
output device driver or both? Which driver is this? Is it already in the
mainline?

> I would definitely be interested in a general discussion about framebuffer
> driver - v4l2 output device interoperability though and can share our
> experience in this field.

Yes, please, do, it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.