Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] drm_fb_helper: Impossible to change video mode

> > The big issue we have with resizing the buffer is userspace mmaps of the fbdev
> > device, and invalidation.
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/dri-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg41878.html
>
> Actually AFAIR (and reading through it again seems to confirm this)
> userspace mappings should be fully handled by the last patch series I
> posted back then[0]. The problem was that the struct fb_ops hooks may be
> called by the kernel from pretty much any context, and neither I nor
> Thomas was sure how to handle the TTM locking given that. Maybe James
> has ideas for this given his better familiarity with fbdev internals.

The fb_ops can only be called from fbcon or the fbdev userland interface.
The fbcon calls should only happen when the VC is in KD_TEXT mode. Now
with the DRM backend we have the advantage of creating a mapping seperate
from the console mapping. A fb_open/fb_close could be used to cleaning up
the userland mmap as well as handle the console pinning. We can supply
your own fb_mmap hook.

> [0] Though that was really only about making it possible to unpin the
> fbcon BO while it isn't being displayed, resizing it might involve other
> issues I'm not aware of.

Yeap, but both problems are related. Kill two birds with one stone.