Re: [GIT PULL] ext2, quota, and udf fixes for 6.6-rc1

On Thu, 19 Oct 2023 at 10:26, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That said, the quota dependency is quite odd, since normally I
> wouldn't expect the quota code to really even trigger much during
> boot. When it triggers that consistently, and that early during boot,
> I would expect others to have reported more of this.
>
> Strange.

Hmm. I do think the quota list handling has some odd things going on.
And it did change with the whole ->dq_free thing.

Some of it is just bad:

  #ifdef CONFIG_QUOTA_DEBUG
          /* sanity check */
          BUG_ON(!list_empty(&dquot->dq_free));
  #endif

is done under a spinlock, and if it ever triggers, the machine is
dead. Dammit, I *hate* how people use BUG_ON() for assertions. It's a
disgrace. That should be a WARN_ON_ONCE().

And it does have quite a bit of list-related changes, with the whole
series from Baokun Li changing how the ->dq_free list works.

The fact that it consistently bisects to the merge is still odd.

                 Linus