Re: [syzbot] [ext4?] UBSAN: shift-out-of-bounds in ext2_fill_super (2)

On Tue 13-06-23 14:01:03, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> I wonder if we should have a separate syzkaller subsystem for ext2 (as
> distinct from ext4)?  The syz reproducer seems to know that it should
> be mounting using ext2, but also calls it an ext4 file system, which
> is a bit weird.  I'm guessing there is something specific about the
> syzkaller internals which might not make this be practical, but I
> thought I should ask.

Yeah, having ext2 driver as a separate subsystem makes sense to me since it
is completely different codebase.

> From the syz reproducer:
>
> syz_mount_image$ext4(&(0x7f0000000100)='ext2\x00', ...)
>
> More generally, there are a series of changes that were made to make
> ext4 to make it more robust against maliciously fuzzed superblocks,
> but we haven't necessarily made sure the same analogous changes have
> been made to ext2.  I'm not sure how critical this is in practice,
> since most distributions don't actually compile fs/ext2 and instead
> use CONFIG_EXT4_USE_FOR_EXT2 instead.  However, while we maintain ext2
> as a sample "simple" modern file system, I guess we should try to make
> sure we do carry those fixes over.
>
> Jan, as the ext2 maintainer, do you have an opinion?

I agree, I try to fix these problems when syzbot finds them. For this one,
I've already sent a fix [1] (dropping remains of fragments support from ext2).

								Honza

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230613103012.22933-1-jack@xxxxxxx

--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxxx>