Re: [RFCv2 2/5] ext4: Remove PAGE_SIZE assumption of folio from mpage_submit_folio

On Tue 13-06-23 09:27:38, Ritesh Harjani wrote:
> [...]
> >> around this suggestion -

> >> I was not sure whether if go with above case then whether it will
> >> work with collapse_range. I initially thought that collapse_range will
> >> truncate the pages between start and end of the file and then
> >> it can also reduce the inode->i_size. That means writeback can find an
> >> inode->i_size smaller than folio_pos(folio) which it is writing to.
> >> But in this case we can't skip the write in writeback case like above
> >> because that write is still required (a spurious write) even though
> >> i_size is reduced as it's corresponding FS blocks are not truncated.
> >>
> >> But just now looking at ext4_collapse_range() code it doesn't look like
> >> it is the problem because it waits for any dirty data to be written
> >> before truncate. So no matter which folio_pos(folio) the writeback is
> >> writing, there should not be an issue if we simply return 0 like how
> >> you suggested above.
> >>
> >>     static int ext4_collapse_range(struct file *file, loff_t offset, loff_t len)
> >>
> >>     <...>
> >>         ioffset = round_down(offset, PAGE_SIZE);
> >>         /*
> >>         * Write tail of the last page before removed range since it will get
> >>         * removed from the page cache below.
> >>         */
> >>
> >>         ret = filemap_write_and_wait_range(mapping, ioffset, offset);
> >>         if (ret)
> >>             goto out_mmap;
> >>         /*
> >>         * Write data that will be shifted to preserve them when discarding
> >>         * page cache below. We are also protected from pages becoming dirty
> >>         * by i_rwsem and invalidate_lock.
> >>         */
> >>         ret = filemap_write_and_wait_range(mapping, offset + len,
> >>                         LLONG_MAX);
> >>         truncate_pagecache(inode, ioffset);
> >>
> >>         <... within i_data_sem>
> >>         i_size_write(inode, new_size);
> >>
> >>     <...>
> >>

> >> However to avoid problems like this I felt, I will do some more code
> >> reading. And then I was mostly considering your second suggestion which
> >> is this. This will ensure we keep the current behavior as is and not
> >> change that.

> > For all I know, I've found a bug here.  I don't know enough about ext4; if
> > we have truncated a file, and then writeback a page that is past i_size,
> > will the block its writing to have been freed?
>
> I don't think so. If we look at truncate code, it first reduces i_size,
> then call truncate_pagecache(inode, newsize) and then we will call
> ext4_truncate() which will free the corresponding blocks.
> Since writeback happens with folio lock held until completion, hence I
> think truncate_pagecache() should block on that folio until it's lock
> has been released.
>
> - IIUC, if truncate would have completed then the folio won't be in the
> foliocache for writeback to happen. Foliocache is kept consistent
> via
>     - first truncate the folio in the foliocache and then remove/free

Yes, correct.

> - Also the reason we update i_size "before" calling truncate_pagecache()
>   is to synchronize with mmap/pagefault.

Yes, but these days mapping->invalidate_lock works for that instead for
ext4.

> > Is this potentially a silent data corruptor?
>
> - Let's consider a case when folio_pos > i_size but both still belongs
> to the last block. i.e. it's a straddle write case.
> In such case we require writeback to write the data of this last folio
> straddling i_size. Because truncate will not remove/free this last folio
> straddling i_size & neither the last block will be freed. And I think
> writeback is supposed to write this last folio to the disk to keep the
> cache and disk data consistent. Because truncate will only zero out
> the rest of the folio in the foliocache. But I don't think it will go and
> write that folio out (It's not required because i_size means that the
> rest of the folio beyond i_size should remain zero).
>
> So, IMO writeback is supposed to write this last folio to the disk. And,
> if we skip this writeout, then I think it may cause silent data corruption.
>
> But I am not sure about the rest of the write beyond the last block of
> i_size. I think those could just be spurious writes which won't cause
> any harm because truncate will eventually first remove this folio from
> file mapping and then will release the corresponding disk blocks.
> So writing those out should does no harm

Correct. The block straddling i_size must be written out, the blocks fully
beyond new i_size (but below old i_size) may or may not be written out. As
you say these extra racing writes to blocks that will get truncated cause
no harm.

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxxx>