Re: [ext4 io hang] buffered write io hang in balance_dirty_pages

On Wed, May 03, 2023 at 08:33:23AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Tue, May 02, 2023 at 08:35:16AM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:

> > > maybe necessary for btrfs, but not for XFS....

> > > as XFS doesn't treat the individual devices differently. A
> > > failure on an external log device is just as fatal as a failure on
> > > a single device filesystem with an internal log. ext4 is
> > > going to consider external journal device removal as fatal, too.
> > >
> > > As for removal of realtime devices on XFS, all the user data has
> > > gone away, so the filesystem will largely be useless for users and
> > > applications.  At this point, we'll probably want to shut down the
> > > filesystem because we've had an unknown amount of user data loss and
> > > so silently continuing on as if nothing happened is not the right
> > > thing to do.
> > >
> > > So as long as we can attach the superblock to each block device that
> > > the filesystem opens (regardless of where sb->s_bdev points), device
> > > removal calling sb_force_shutdown(sb, SB_SHUTDOWN_DEVICE_DEAD) will
> > > do what we need. If we need anything different in future, then we
> > > can worry about how to do that in the future.
> >
> > Shiyang spent a lot of time hooking up pmem failure notifications so
> > that xfs can kill processes that have pmem in their mapping.  I wonder
> > if we could reuse some of that infrastructure here?
>
> ISTR that the generic mechanism for "device failure ranges" (I think
> I called the mechanism ->corrupt_range()) that we came up with in
> the first instance for this functionality got shouted down by some
> block layer devs because they saw it as unnecessary complexity to
> push device range failure notifications through block devices up
> to the filesystem.
>
> The whole point of starting from that point was so that any type of
> block device could report a failure to the filesystem and have the
> filesystem deal with it appropriately:
>
> This is where we started:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-xfs/20201215121414.253660-1-ruansy.fnst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
>
> ".....
> The call trace is like this:
> memory_failure()
>  pgmap->ops->memory_failure()      => pmem_pgmap_memory_failure()
>   gendisk->fops->corrupted_range() => - pmem_corrupted_range()
>                                       - md_blk_corrupted_range()
>    sb->s_ops->currupted_range()    => xfs_fs_corrupted_range()
>     xfs_rmap_query_range()
>      xfs_currupt_helper()
>       * corrupted on metadata
>           try to recover data, call xfs_force_shutdown()
>       * corrupted on file data
>           try to recover data, call mf_dax_mapping_kill_procs()
> ...."

<nod> I dug up
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-xfs/20210108095614.GB5647@xxxxxx/

which I interpreted as Christoph asking Shiyang not to make the dax
device code go swerving through the block layer to call
->corrupted_range, since he was trying to separate the two entirely.
I didn't think he was shutting down the idea of block devices being able
to call ->corrupted_range to tell the filesystem that the user's $2
NVME<->STL<->USB bridge caught on fire.

> > That MF_MEM_REMOVE
> > patchset he's been trying to get us to merge would be a good starting
> > point for building something similar for block devices.  AFAICT it does
> > the right thing if you hand it a subrange of the dax device or if you
> > pass it the customary (0, -1ULL) to mean "the entire device".
>
> *nod*
>
> That was exactly how I originally envisiaged that whole "bad device
> range" stack being used.
>
> > The block device version of that could be a lot simpler-- imagine if
> > "echo 0 > /sys/block/fd0/device/delete" resulted in the block layer
> > first sending us a notification that the device is about to be removed.
> > We could then flush the fs and try to freeze it.  After the device
> > actually goes away, the blocy layer would send us a second notification
> > about DEVICE_DEAD and we could shut down the incore filesystem objects.
>
> *nod*
>
> But seeing this mechanism has already been shot down by the block
> layer devs, let's be a little less ambitious and just start with
> a simple, pre-existing "kill the filesystem" mechanism. Once we've
> got that in place and working, we can then expand on the error
> handling mechanism to perform notification of on more fine-grained
> storage  errors...

<shrug> Seeing as LSF is next week, I'll ask the room about this when
I'm there.

--D