Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF TOPIC] online repair of filesystems: what next?

On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 10:49 PM Darrick J. Wong <djwong@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello fsdevel people,
>
> Five years ago[0], we started a conversation about cross-filesystem
> userspace tooling for online fsck.  I think enough time has passed for
> us to have another one, since a few things have happened since then:
>
> 1. ext4 has gained the ability to send corruption reports to a userspace
>    monitoring program via fsnotify.  Thanks, Collabora!
>
> 2. XFS now tracks successful scrubs and corruptions seen during runtime
>    and during scrubs.  Userspace can query this information.
>
> 3. Directory parent pointers, which enable online repair of the
>    directory tree, is nearing completion.
>
> 4. Dave and I are working on merging online repair of space metadata for
>    XFS.  Online repair of directory trees is feature complete, but we
>    still have one or two unresolved questions in the parent pointer
>    code.
>
> 5. I've gotten a bit better[1] at writing systemd service descriptions
>    for scheduling and performing background online fsck.
>
> Now that fsnotify_sb_error exists as a result of (1), I think we
> should figure out how to plumb calls into the readahead and writeback
> code so that IO failures can be reported to the fsnotify monitor.  I
> suspect there may be a few difficulties here since fsnotify (iirc)
> allocates memory and takes locks.
>
> As a result of (2), XFS now retains quite a bit of incore state about
> its own health.  The structure that fsnotify gives to userspace is very
> generic (superblock, inode, errno, errno count).  How might XFS export
> a greater amount of information via this interface?  We can provide
> details at finer granularity -- for example, a specific data structure
> under an allocation group or an inode, or specific quota records.
>
> With (4) on the way, I can envision wanting a system service that would
> watch for these fsnotify events, and transform the error reports into
> targeted repair calls in the kernel.  This of course would be very
> filesystem specific, but I would also like to hear from anyone pondering
> other usecases for fsnotify filesystem error monitors.
>
> Once (3) lands, XFS gains the ability to translate a block device IO
> error to an inode number and file offset, and then the inode number to a
> path.  In other words, your file breaks and now we can tell applications
> which file it was so they can failover or redownload it or whatever.
> Ric Wheeler mentioned this in 2018's session.
>
> The final topic from that 2018 session concerned generic wrappers for
> fsscrub.  I haven't pushed hard on that topic because XFS hasn't had
> much to show for that.  Now that I'm better versed in systemd services,
> I envision three ways to interact with online fsck:
>
> - A CLI program that can be run by anyone.
>
> - Background systemd services that fire up periodically.
>
> - A dbus service that programs can bind to and request a fsck.
>
> I still think there's an opportunity to standardize the naming to make
> [...]

Darrick,

Quick question.
You indicated that you would like to discuss the topics:
Atomic file contents exchange
Atomic directio writes

Are those intended to be in a separate session from online fsck?
Both in the same session?

I know you posted patches for FIEXCHANGE_RANGE [1],
but they were hiding inside a huge DELUGE and people
were on New Years holidays, so nobody commented.

Perhaps you should consider posting an uptodate
topic suggestion to let people have an opportunity to
start a discussion before LSFMM.

Thanks,
Amir.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/167243843494.699466.5163281976943635014.stgit@magnolia/