Re: ext4: Remove deprecated noacl/nouser_xattr options

Hello Jan,

Am 17.01.2023 um 11:45 schrieb Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>:

> I understand the wish for more overview over file permissions but this seems like a bit awkward way to reach it?

This might be a matter of taste.

> It rather seems like a lack of control in the smbget(1) tool (or whatever you are using for the copying)?

Im using my Mac with macOS. I mount a samba share and use the Finder to copy files by drag & drop.

> Adding an option there to not copy permissions from the server would look like a very logical thing to do (similarly as cp(1) has these options)...  Would that work?

In this case: No, wouldn't work.

But your response made me wade through smb.conf(5) again, specifically searching for "acl" and found:

nt acl support = no

to be the adequate solution after trying. With that, copying files doesn't add ACLs anymore.

Sorry for bugging you and all the list members. Thank you for helping me think. :-)

:wq! PoC