Re: simplify ext4_sb_read_encoding regression

On Sun, Jun 5, 2022 at 2:23 AM Gabriel Krisman Bertazi
<krisman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That is great news.  It should allow us to do more investigation.  This
> message can unfortunately come from a few error cases, but, most likely,
> it is from a failure to get the utf8_data_table symbol.
>
> Since you don't need the module to boot this kernel anymore now that
> your rootfs is no longer casefolded, can you try building with
> CONFIG_UNICODE=m, modprobe the module, and see if you can mount
> /dev/loop0p1 successfully?  If it works, we should be able to discard
> the steps being done to generate the bootable uimg and the flashing from
> the equation being done at [1].
>
> I've built a vanilla aarch64 kernel and ran over qemu, but I haven't
> been able to reproduce it, or notice anything out of the ordinary in the
> symbols.  It makes this bug quite puzzling at the moment.

So I decided that testing a commit in the middle of a patch series
wasn't the best idea so I did a fresh compile of 5.18.r0. This build
worked! even with the root filesystem having casefold.

There are quite a few differences in the config prior to my previous
attempt with 5.18.r0 - attached, as a result of accepting defaults or
copying Theodore's config more closely.

At this point I think it's safe to stop investigating. Thank you
everyone who helped!