Re: simplify ext4_sb_read_encoding regression

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 06:20:46PM -0400, Stephen E. Baker wrote:
> The other thought I had was - this device has a strict size limit on kernels,
> which is why I had to start building my own in the first place. Nothing over
> 32MB can boot. However I verified my kernel was smaller than that. I
> minimized my config even further and my Image is now 20MB uncompressed
> which is smaller than it was before, so that's not it either.
>
> Here is my full config:

I don't know what to tell you.  I took your config, stripped out all
of the modules, and enabled CONFIG_HYPERVISOR_GUEST,
CONFIG_VIRTIO_MENU, and CONFIG_VIRTIO_BLK, and build a 5.16 kernel.
This worked just fine using kvm-xfstests booting into a root file
system that had case folding enabled.  (See my previous e-mail for a
description for how to test things.)

So I can't replicate your problem.  Without the boot logs, I'm not
sure what else we can do here.  Maybe you can figure out a way to
replicate the problem using kvm-xfstests?  We really need a solid
reproducer on a system where we can debug things and see the kernel
logs.

						- Ted