discard feature, mkfs.ext4 and mmc default fallback to normal erase op

Hi,

The problem I'm having is that I'm trying to install debian on
an embedded system onto an sdcard. During installation it will
format the target filesystem, but the "mkfs.ext4 -F /dev/mmcblk0p2"
takes ages.

What I've found out so far:
 - mkfs.ext4 tries to discard all blocks on the target device
 - with my target device being an sdcard it seems to fallback
   to normal erase [1], with erase_arg being set to what the card
   is capable of [2]

Now I'm trying to figure out if this behavior is intended. I guess
one can reduce it to "blkdiscard /dev/mmcblk0p2". Should this
actually fall back to normal erasing or should it return -EOPNOTSUPP?

-michael

[1] https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.9.12/source/drivers/mmc/core/block.c#L1063 [2] https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.9.12/source/drivers/mmc/core/mmc.c#L1751