Re: [EXT4] orphaned inodes on RO device trigger "unable to handle kernel paging request at"

> On 13 Aug 2020, at 10:27, Andreas Dilger <adilger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Definitely a newer kernel is likely to avoid the oops (lots of bugs have been
> fixed over the years from fuzzed filesystems), but that wouldn't necessarily
> allow you to mount the filesystem, just avoid the crash and return an error.

That would be a step forward, being able to mount would be the next but that something I have to dive into yet.

> The correct thing to do would be to run "e2fsck -fy" on the device with the
> latest version of e2fsprogs (1.45.6 IIRC), since it seems there is corruption
> in the filesystem.  Once that fixes the problem then it is likely that the
> filesystem can mount without errors.
>
> If the latest e2fsck checks the whole filesystem and does not report an error,
> and you still see a crash with the latest kernel, then it is more likely someone
> will look into the details.

The problem is corrected on the actual server but will exists in the backup chain for a while which could contain data I would like to access directly. In the current case I’m required to restore the whole VM which is possible but just time consuming.

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated!

With kind regards,

Henk