A question on directory checksums

Hello,

I am implementing support for metadata checksums on an ext4 driver for another os and test this by writing something and then run e2fsck from Linux to see what it says. When I create a new empty directory that only contains . and .. I got this error message from e2fsck that I want to ask you to clearify:

bo@bo-desktop:~$ sudo e2fsck -pvf /dev/sdb2
/dev/sdb2: Directory inode 64, block #0, offset 0: directory has no checksum.
FIXED.

Am I right that it is not the checksum on the inode that represents the directory but the checksum in the directory entry tail in the first and only block?

Also do "no checksum" means something different than wrong checksum, like I have not initialized it correctly? (if I dont call initialize_dirent_tail I will get another error message from e2fsck that speficially says there is no room for the checksum so it can not be that)

Bo Branten