Re: [RFCv2 0/4] ext4: bmap & fiemap conversion to use iomap

On 2/20/20 10:39 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 10:33:03PM +0530, Ritesh Harjani wrote:
So I was making some changes along the above lines and I think we can take
below approach for filesystem which could determine the
_EXTENT_LAST relatively easily and for cases if it cannot
as Jan also mentioned we could keep the current behavior as is and let
iomap core decide the last disk extent.

Well, given that _EXTENT_LAST never worked properly on any file system
since it was added this actually changes behavior and could break
existing users.  I'd rather update the documentation to match reality
rather than writing a lot of code for a feature no one obviously cared
about for years.

Well I agree to this. Since either ways the _EXTENT_LAST has never worked properly or in the same manner across different filesystems.
In ext4 itself it works differently for extent v/s non-extent based FS.
So updating the documentation would be a right way to go from here.

Ted/Jan - do you agree here:-
Shall we move ahead with this patch series in converting ext4_fiemap to
use iomap APIs, without worrying about how _EXTENT_LAST is being set via
iomap core code?

-ritesh