Re: [RFC 0/5] Ext4: Add support for blocksize < pagesize for dioread_nolock

On 11/4/19 3:46 PM, Matthew Bobrowski wrote:
On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 02:16:06PM -0500, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 12:49:24PM +0530, Ritesh Harjani wrote:

So it looks like these failed tests does not seem to be because of this
patch series. But these are broken in general for at least 1K blocksize.

Agreed, I failed to add them to the exclude list for diread_nolock_1k.
Thanks for pointing that out!

After looking through these patches, it looks good.  So, I've landed
this series on the ext4 git tree.

There are some potential conflicts with Matthew's DIO using imap patch
set.  I tried resolving them in the obvious way (see the tt/mb-dio
branch[1] on ext4.git), and unfortunately, there is a flaky test
failure with generic/270 --- 2 times out 30 runs of generic/270, the
file system is left inconsistent, with problems found in the block
allocation bitmap.

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tytso/ext4.git/log/?h=tt/mb-dio

I've verified that generic/270 isn't a problem on -rc3, and it's not a
problem with just your patch series.  So, it's almost certain it's
because I screwed up the merge.  I applied each of Matthew's patch one
at a time, and conflict was in changes in ext4_end_io_dio, which is
dropped in Matthew's patch.  It wasn't obvious though where the
dioread-nolock-1k change should be applied in Matthew's patch series.
Could you take a look?  Thanks!!

Hang on a second.

Are we not prematurely merging this series in with master? I thought
that this is something that should've come after the iomap direct I/O
port, no? The use of io_end's within the new direct I/O implementation
are effectively redundant...

It sure may be giving a merge conflict (due to io_end structure).
But this dioread_nolock series was not dependent over iomap series.

-ritesh