Defrag and delayed-allocation on Ext4

Possibly a newbie question for the list, excuse my ignorance.
I saw e4defrag code, which fallocates a temporary file in the outset.

I imagine that extents would not get allocated to the this file at
this time due to delayed-allocation feature (extent/block allocations
should happen post writes which seem to happen much later, during
extents copying between target-file and temporary-file).

However, e4defrag needs extent information just after fallocate() to
determine whether it is wise to go-ahead with defrag process i.e.
whether new file is any less-fragmented than target one. I wonder how
this decision-making is possible if fallocate does not allocate
extents/blocks.

I'd appreciate the thoughts.

--
Joshi