Re: fsync() errors is unsafe and risks data loss

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 01:13:22PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> I think a per-file or even per-blockdev/fs error state that'd be
> returned by fsync() would be more than sufficient.

Ah; this was my suggestion to Jeff on IRC.  That we add a per-superblock
wb_err and then allow syncfs() to return it.  So you'd open an fd on
a directory (for example), and call syncfs() which would return -EIO
or -ENOSPC if either of those conditions had occurred since you opened
the fd.

>  I don't see that
> that'd realistically would trigger OOM or the inability to unmount a
> filesystem.

Ted's referring to the current state of affairs where the writeback error
is held in the inode; if we can't evict the inode because it's holding
the error indicator, that can send us OOM.  If instead we transfer the
error indicator to the superblock, then there's no problem.