Re: fsync() errors is unsafe and risks data loss

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 07:32:21PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:

> Most of that sounds like a good thing to do, but you got to recognize
> that that's a lot of linux specific code.

I know it's not what PG has chosen, but realistically all of the other
major databases and userspace based storage systems have used DIO
precisely *because* it's the way to avoid OS-specific behavior or
require OS-specific code.  DIO is simple, and pretty much the same
everywhere.

In contrast, the exact details of how buffered I/O workrs can be quite
different on different OS's.  This is especially true if you take
performance related details (e.g., the cleaning algorithm, how pages
get chosen for eviction, etc.)

As I read the PG-hackers thread, I thought I saw acknowledgement that
some of the behaviors you don't like with Linux also show up on other
Unix or Unix-like systems?

						- Ted