Re: Recover from a "deleted inode referenced" situation

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 9:48 AM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Unfortunately, if this is what happened, then the true damage was done
> when the file system was remounted read/write, and because the
> allocation bitmaps were incorrect, portions of the inode table were
> overwritten with file data.  (As I mentioned, with modern file systems
> there is a safety check which is now enabled by default which will
> notice when there is an attempt to allocate blocks that are part of
> the inode table, and stop this Very Bad Thing from happening.  It does
> take a tiny bit of extra CPU overhead, but we ultimately decided It
> Was Worth It.  Unfortunately, it was not enabled by default in the
> 3.10 kernel.)
>
> There's not really any recovery possible in that case, unfortunately.  :-(

Argh.

Well, thanks for the explanation, at least I think I have a better
understanding of how things unfolded, now. I'm glad that this safety
check is enabled by default now, and I'm gonna keep repeating myself
"never ever mount read-write when you have a doubt" while I'm waiting
for the carving tools to scan my blocks.

Thanks again!
--
Kilian