Using Cache barriers in lieu of REQ_FLUSH | REQ_FUA for emmc 5.1 (jdec spec JESD84-B51)

Hi

The eMMC 5.1 spec defines cache "barrier" capability of the eMMC device as defined in JESD84-B51

I was wondering if there were any downsides to replacing the WRITE_FLUSH_FUA with the cache barrier?

I understand that REQ_FLUSH is used to ensure that the current cache be flushed to prevent any reordering but I dont seem to be clear on why
REQ_FUA is used.
Can someone please help me understand this part?

But as far as I understand it ... the cache barriers can be used to replace all the flush requests.

Please let me know if there is any downside to this ?

I know there there was a big decision in 2010 https://lwn.net/Articles/400541/
and http://lwn.net/Articles/399148/
to remove the software based barrier support... but with the hardware supporting "barriers" is there a downside to using them to replace the flushes?
--
Thanks
Nikhilesh Reddy

Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum,
a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project.