Re: Which newer kernel is OK with ext4?

Theodore Ts'o wrote on 06/04/2015 04:08 AM:
If you are more adventurous, you could try using one of the long-term
supported kernel (i.e., such as 3.18).  See:

	https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

But remember, now you have to properly configure the kernel, and you
are responsible for checking for new releases of the a long-term
supported kernel.  If you stick with a specific kernel version and
don't upgrade it, then you might be prone to security bugs that would
have been fixed by a newer kernel.

Thanks for the info,
I have many times compiled a kernel and used it successfully,
but when I dist-upgraded from Debian 7 to Debian 8 it installed
it's own stock kernel maintained by Debian. No problem to switch
to a newer kernel from kernel.org, but for me it was unclear
if and how the ongoing ext4-developments will have an impact on
existing ext4-partitions. Now I think everything is clear, I'll
take a newer kernel from kernel.org.

--
cu
Uenal