Re: Can one file system be R/W mounted multiple times in Linux?

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015, Karel Zak wrote:

> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 14:00:58 +0100
> From: Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: Lukáš Czerner <lczerner@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@xxxxxxxxxx>, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>     Dexuan Cui <decui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>     "linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>     'linux-ext4' <linux-ext4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Can one file system be R/W mounted multiple times in Linux?
>
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 04:52:11PM +0100, Lukáš Czerner wrote:
> > Now the question is, whether 'mount' can be a bit smarter than that
> > and just mount the already existing block device instead of creating
> > new one ? Karel ?
>
> Well, the question is how smart is too smart :-) And Al is right, problem
> is in races.
>
> Anyway, I'd like to avoid complex FS specific code in mount(8). IMHO
> it's FS driver responsibility to avoid (or support) FS sharing between
> more block devices.
>
> BTW, for ext4 you can enable ETX4_FEATURE_INCOMPAT_MMP to protect
> against multi-mount.
>
>     Karel

Hi Karel,

that's not what I meant at all. Yes, things like MMP should help.
But what I was suggesting was not FS specific.

mount(8) could in case of '-o loop' look whether there is already a
block device associated with the file and if so use it instead of
creating new one.

However this might race with device removal among other things and I
am not sure whether there is any easy solution.

Thanks!
-Lukas