Re: What happened to e4defrag relevant file and free space defrag?

On 03/09/14, 14:02, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 01:40:42PM -0500, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
On 23/08/14, 6:04, Joakim Ziegler wrote:

Also, about free space defrag, it says:

"Implement free space defragmentation (e4defrag -f). We might implement this
feature when the relevant defrag development is completed."

The e4defrag is in e2fsprogs, and the code is still getting maintained
and improved.  Dmitry Monakhov has in particular added a lot of
"torture tests", and found a number of race conditions in the
underlying kernel code.  He recently also sent a code refactor of the
kernel code which significantly improved it and (shrank the size of
ext4 by 550 lines of code).

That being said, there hasn't been any real feature development for
e4defrag in quite some time.  There has been some discussion about
what the kernel API's might be to support this feature, but there has
never been a finalized API proposal, let alone an implementation.

Yeah, I was mostly curious about the relevant file defrag, since Akira's presentation from a few years back said that there were patches in review, and it would, I think, largely solve my problem.

--
Joakim Ziegler  -  Supervisor de postproducción  -  Terminal
joakim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx   -   044 55 2971 8514   -   5264 0864