Re: A couple of ext4 crashes with inlinedata/bigalloc

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 07:54:25PM +0800, Zheng Liu wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 08:06:04PM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > A couple of errors to complain about before I send out the e2fsprogs patchbomb.
> > :)
> >
> > Zheng: I've been running the metadata checksum test with inline_data set.
> > flat_dir_test is a stress test which copies /usr/share/doc into a filesystem
> > and then "enlarges" the directories by recursively renaming "$foo" to
> > "$foo.longer", with the results below.  e2fsck complained that the directories
> > involved (4156, 4251) have multiple links to the subdir inode.  I'm not sure
> > what this is all about; the only (circumstantial) evidence I have is that it
> > goes away if I don't turn on inline_data.
>
> Hi Darrick,
>
> I guess that you were talking about this bug at LSF/MM submmit this
> year, right?  Thanks for reporting this bug.  I am trying to take a
> closer look at it.  It would be great if you could tell me where I can
> find the your test program ('flat_dir_test').

It's buried in the metadata checksum test suite, alas.  The test copies an
arbitrary directory (/usr/share/doc) to the filesystem, then does a depth-first
traversal of the copied tree, renaming everything it finds from "oldname" to
"oldname.longer" to force the kernel to shuffle directory entries all over the
place, and likely causing spill-out from formerly inlinedata directories.

--D