Re: mke2fs options for large media archive filesystem

Hi,

b) bigalloc feature

As I understand (please correct me someone if I'm wrong), given that ext4 uses extents, bigalloc feature is really useful ONLY for minimizing block bitmaps. Which is probably only useful for (maybe) reducing kernel memory usage and for (maybe) reducing fragmentation. 'maybe' means I personally don't know if benefit will be large enough, and I even don't know if there would be any real benefit at all... I didn't see any real bigalloc tests in the web...

So, I personally don't think you'll really benefit from bigalloc on a 1TB archive partition... But I would like it very much if someone can tell an authoritative verdict. :)

--
With best regards,
  Vitaliy Filippov