Please summarize state of ext4 resize >16TB

I've been searching for info on the ability to resize ext4 from <16TB to >16TB.  This was not supported in the past and I've received conflicting information as to if/when this is/will be supported.  I've also seen indications that on disk data structures must be changed for this resize to work.

Is this capability currently supported?
If so, what kernel level (and resize2fs level) is necessary?  Are there restrictions as to options at mkfs time?
If not, is this planned for a future release?  Or is this just not possible or practical due to on disk structures and is likely to never be supported?

Thank you.