metadata_csum + unclean shutdown = failure to boot

Feeling a bit adventurous, I enabled metadata_csum on many of
my daily-use file systems.

I have now noticed a problem in the event of an unclean shutdown.

On reboot, the kernel complains about a bad superblock checksum, suggests
e2fsck, and then fails to mount the root filesystem.

This makes running e2fsck a bit problematic.

I can fix it manually, but it makes automatic reboots *extremely*
problematic.

Is it possible to fix the kernel code to be a bit more forgiving?