Re: Announcing the Berserker toolkit for (semi-)automated fs fuzz testing

On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 11:27:27AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> I wrote something similar a while back, trying to use systemtap to do
> feedback-directed fuzz testing.  By putting a tracepoint on every line
> in the filesystem module, you can find out how many lines of code are
> actually executed when mounting/using the fuzzed filesystem and use
> that as a cost function for feedback (maximizing the # of lines
> executed, rather than blindly fuzzing).  Unfortunately it doesn't work
> yet because of a bug in Linux[1].

I guess something like that could also be used for trying to generate
a small(ish) set of test case filesystem images that maximally
exercise the code.

> Anyway I was going to say: why not use libguestfs to provide a simpler
> framework for running KVM and the fuzzer?

I didn't even know about libguestfs. Very interesting; I need to take
a closer look at it.

I'd be glad quite glad if I could somehow get rid of the root
filesystem image, or to build and update it automatically. Right now
it's a headache for version control purposes.

	Sami