Re: [RFC] ext4: block reservation allocation

On 2/27/2012 4:09 AM, Zheng Liu wrote:
Hi list,

Now, in ext4, we have multi-block allocation and delay allocation. They work
well for most scenarios. However, in some specific scenarios, they cannot help
us to optimize block allocation. For example, the user may want to indicate some
file set to be allocated at the beginning of the disk because its speed in this
position is faster than its speed at the end of disk.

I thought this could be done with the new defrag api. I thought it had a way to allocate a new donor file in a specific location so you could then migrate the target file to those specific donor blocks.