Re: Some interesting input from a flash manufacturer

Ted> But min_io currently means the smallest size that we're allowed to
Ted> write, correct?

Without incurring a penalty, yes. That was conceived in the standards
with 4K sectors and RAID RMW in mind. But I think it would apply to SSDs
as well. Depending on how mkfs.* interpret the field, obviously.

Ted> And the flash page size could be 128k and 512 byte writes might be
Ted> perfectly OK; it's just that writes are more optimal at 128k, and
Ted> would be even more optimal at the erbase block size of 4 megs.

Yep. Just like in the RAID case where the writing the full stripe chunk
is better than just a logical block. And a full stripe is even better.

Ted> That's why I'm not sure it makes sense to use the existing fields,
Ted> since it will confuse file system utilities that are reading those
Ted> fields.

Happy to add new fields if it makes sense. But right now ATA ACS doesn't
even have anything corresponding to the SCSI fields that populate min_io
and opt_io.