Why does e2fsck stop on system clock differences?

I've got Fedora users concerned (again) about clock problems stopping their boot in e2fsck.

I know about the +/- 24h slop, and the broken_system_clock e2fsck.conf setting, which we might just set to do away with this issue.

But I wonder if I can get a little historical perspective from the extN elders on why e2fsck is so clock-obsessed. (I think this has been discussed in other threads, but I'm not finding them now)

What are the actual risks if we just ignore time differences at fsck time, can we get this stated on the record (hopefully in a somewhat google-able $SUBJECT?)

Thanks,
-Eric