working on extent locks for i_mutex

Hi All,

I know this is an old topic, but I am poking it again because I've had some work items wrap up, and Im planning on picking up on this one again. I am thinking about implementing extent locks to replace i_mutex. So I just wanted to touch base with folks and see what people are working on because I know there were some folks out there that were thing about doing similar solutions.

A while ago I had done some investigation on where i_mutex is currently used, so I did a review and updated my list. Only one thing had been removed, but I will leave the list here since it was a while ago. Let me know if anyone has been working on similar concept. Thx!

Allison

List of ext4 functions that lock i_mutex:
ext4_sync_file
ext4_fallocate
ext4_move_extents via two helper routines:
    mext_inode_double_lock and mext_inode_double_unlock
ext4_ioctl (for the EXT4_IOC_SETFLAGS ioctl)
ext4_quota_write
ext4_llseek
ext4_end_io_work
ext4_ind_direct_IO (only while calling ext4_flush_completed_IO)

Functions called by vfs with i_mutex locked:
ext4_setattr
ext4_da_writepages
ext4_rmdir
ext4_unlink