Re: [Ext4 Secure Delete 7/7v4] ext4/jbd2: Secure Delete: Secure delete journal blocks

On 10/10/2011 01:00 PM, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
On Fri,  7 Oct 2011 00:11:05 -0700
Allison Henderson<achender@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

+	/*
+	 * If the journal block was not found in the list,
+	 * add a new pair to the list
+	 */
+	if (!b_pair) {
+		b_pair = kzalloc(sizeof(struct jbd2_blk_pair), GFP_NOFS);
+		if (!b_pair) {
+			spin_unlock(&journal->j_pair_lock);
+			return -ENOMEM;
+		}

Here too...  that really needs to be GFP_ATOMIC.

I'm wondering, though...it looks like, over a short period of time, you
will create an unordered linked list containing one entry for every
physical block in the journal.  You'll take a lock and search the whole
list for every block that is committed.  Wouldn't it be better just to
have an array indexed by the journal logical block offset?  Less memory,
faster access...?  Or am I missing something fundamental here?

Thanks,

jon

Hi Jon,

I think that's a good suggestion. Initially I had made it a linked
list since most of the journals existing lists were implemented as
linked lists, but since this list ends up being a fixed size, an
array is a good optimization here. Thx!

Allison