Re: your mail

On 05/03/2011 04:46 PM, Jan Kara wrote:
On Tue 03-05-11 16:08:36, Surbhi Palande wrote:

Sorry for missing the subject line :(
On munmap() zap_pte_range() is called which dirties the PTE dirty pages as
Toshiyuki pointed out.

zap_pte_range()
   mapping->a_ops->set_page_dirty (= ext4_journalled_set_page_dirty)

So, I think that it is here that we should do the checking for a ext4 F.S
frozen state and also prevent a parallel ext4 F.S freeze from happening.

Attaching a patch for initial review. Please do let me know your thoughts!
   This is definitely the wrong place. ->set_page_dirty() callbacks are
called with various locks held and the page need not be locked (thus
dereferencing page->mapping is oopsable). Moreover this particular callback
is called only in data=journal mode.
Ok! Thanks for that!

Believe me, the right place is page_mkwrite() - you have to catch the
read-only =>  read-write page transition. Once the page is mapped
read-write, you've already lost the race.

My only point is:
1) something should prevent the freeze from happening. We cant merely check the vfs_check_frozen()?

And this should be done where the page is marked dirty.Also, I thought that the page is marked read-write only in the page table in the __do_page_fault()? i.e the zap_pte_range() marks them dirty in the page cache? Is this understanding right?

IMHO, whatever code dirties the page in the page cache should call a F.S specific function and let it _prevent_ a fsfreeze while the page is getting dirtied, so that a freeze called after this point flushes this page!

Warm Regards,
Surbhi.

								Honza