Re: breaking ext4 to test recovery

On 2011-04-02, at 2:38 AM, Ric Wheeler <ricwheeler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The device mapper developers are looking at having a device mapper target that can be used as a hot block cache - say given a S-ATA disk and a PCI-e SSD, you would store the hot blocks on the PCI-e card.

There was a patch posted around December called bcache which did this same thing. I don't recall if it was a DM  target or not.

> What might be a great simulation would be to have a way to destroy that cache, assuming we could get a cache policy that simulates some reasonable, disk like caching policy :)

The one difficulty with DM targets is that they cannot be used with non DM devices. That was one of the advantages of EVMS (if anyone remembers that) - it could work with any existing block device.

Cheers, Andreas