Re: Severe slowdown caused by jbd2 process

On 01/22/2011 12:56 AM, Ted Ts'o wrote:
On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 09:31:45AM -0500, Josef Bacik wrote:
Yup, whatever you are doing in your webapp is making your database do lots of
fsyncs, which is going to suck.  If you are on a battery backed system or just
don't care if you lose your database and rather it be faster you can mount your
ext4 fs with -o nobarrier.  Thanks,
Note that if you don't use -o barrier on ext3, or use -o nobarrier on
ext4, the chance of significant file system damage if you have a power
failure, since without the barrier, the file system doesn't wait for
disk to acknowledge that the data has hit the barrier.  The problem is
that if you are using a barrier operation, you're not going to be able
to get more than about 30-50 non-trivial[1] fsync's per second on a
standard HDD; barriers are inherently slow.

I think that currently the fsyncs have a double meaning: they are used to make a filesystem operation happen before another filesystem operation, and to make a filesystem operation happen before a network operation. I don't think the second case can be speeded up (there can be a distributed transaction involved) but the first could probably be speeded up, but I'm thinking how...

Do you think nobarrier + data=journal would provide the same guarantees of barrier and almost the same performances of nobarrier (for random I/O)?

Hmm maybe you need the barriers enabled to make even data=journal work reliably? But then there should be a mount option (barriersonlyjournal?) so that barriers are only generated every so many seconds and only for committing a big transaction to the journal, while applications' fsyncs would be made with nobarriers. This should provide the benefits I mentioned, for disk-to-disk sequentiality (not disk-to-network), shouldn't it?